Intelligible Intelligence: Deep XAI still more R&D than toolbox

Most architectural tradeoffs are hard. So is the one between the accuracy of Deep Machine Learning (ML) and explainability/transparency of explainable AI (XAI). Therefore, DARPA’s initial XAI program is expected to run through 2021.


Few explainability mechanisms have been extensively tested on humans, but current R&D indicates at least some (hybrid) tech to come in a couple of years.
Several well-tried ML technologies work their way through (in steps) from a first random solution to satisfactory ones, and where possible, to an optimal one:
·         Genetic Algorithms, by creating additional generations
·         Forests, by creating additional trees from the same data
·         Deep Neural Networks, by a (cost) function applied (in training) to outputs, based on how they differ from labeled data, and propagated back across all neurons/synapses, to adjust weights
·         Hybrids, by combination (the “new kid on the block”).


NASA Space Technology 5 antenna created by GA (source: NASA.gov)


GA and Forests are more than semi-intelligible, by their nature. However, now that deep learning feeds big data through NN that consist of multiple hidden layers of neurons (DNN), it arrives at very accurate solutions to complex multidimensional problems, but at the same time at an inherent black box.
A part of my post from August is about random forests, which offer both more transparency than DNN do plus quite a degree of accuracy. Moreover, trees and NN are even cross-fertilized, to offer explainability without impeding accuracy, and there are already several flavors of this; to pick a handful:
·         adding extraction of simplified explainable models (e.g. trees) onto black-box DNN
·         local (instance-based) explanation of one use case at a time, with its input values, for example animating & explaining its path layer-by layer (like most test tools do).
·         soft trees, with NN-based leaf nodes, that perform better than trees induced directly from the same data
·         adaptive neural trees and deep neural decision forests that create trees (edges, splits, and leafs) , to outperform “standalone” NN as well as trees/forests that skip the combination.
 
Explainability, transparency, and V&V are absolutely essential to users’ reliance/confidence in mission-critical AI. Therefore, whichever path or paths take us to up-and-running products, XAI is welcome.

Trainer at Informator, senior modeling and architecture consultant at Kiseldalen’s, main author: UML Extra Light (Cambridge University Press) and Growing Modular (Springer), Advanced UML2 Professional (OCUP cert level 3/3). Milan and Informator collaborate since 1996 on architecture, modelling, UML, requirements, rules/AI, and design. You can meet him at public courses (in English or Swedish) on AI, Architecture, and ML (T1913 , in December or February), Architecture (T1101, T1430) or Modeling (T2715T2716).


8 kommentarer

Through this post, I realize that your great information in playing with all the pieces was exceptionally useful. I advise this is the primary spot where I discover issues I've been scanning for. You have a smart yet alluring method of composing.

PMP

Svara

I was looking at a portion of your posts on this site and I consider this site is really enlightening! Keep setting up..
big data course in malaysia

Svara

It's acceptable to check this sort of site. I figure I would such a great amount from you.
what is hrdf

Svara

You totally coordinate our desire and the assortment of our data.
https://360digitmg.com/hrdf-training

Svara

Great Articles, I think this article will fully complement you. Please continue publishing helpful topics like this. Regards, from

Asset Management Software

CMMS

pre start checklist

Lease Management Software

Svara

I think you have a great article here, But let me share with you all here about my experience with a loan lender called Pedro Loans who helped me expand my business with his loan company that offered me a loan amount of 600,000.00 USD which I used to upgrade my business months ago. He was really awesome working with him because he a Gentle man with a good heart, a man who can listen to your heart beat and tell you that everything will be OK, when I contacted Mr Pedro it was on my Facebook page that his advert came up then I visited his office to discuss about the loan offer that he and his company render, He makes me understand how all process go then I decided to give a try to it was successful just like he promised, yeah I believe him, I trust him, I rely on him as well about all my project he will be my dear financial officer and I'm glad my business is probably going well and I'm going makes my business growth like grass with his help.he work's with a great investors and guess what? They also give international loans. Is that not awesome to hear when you know a lot of business project are growing up each day by day in your heart hoping that you going to make income of that job to raise money for the project, Ops, then Mr Pedro will help you with that, Yes international loan he will help you with that perfectly because I trust him very much for that kind of job, Look don't be shy or shaded give a possible try to Mr Pedro here his contact : pedroloanss@gmail.com.

Svara

Skicka en kommentar

Trevligt att du vill dela med dig av dina åsikter! Tänk på att hålla på "Netiketten" och använda vårdat språk.